Thursday 13 October 2016

Welcome to my blog!

A couple of months ago, when scrolling through my Facebook news feed I started observing an increasing number of links to news articles that discussed how consuming beef has a damaging effect on the environment. Eventually, I decided to explore this topic further and read some of these news articles I had come across. From further reading and understanding the basics behind the link between beef consumption and climate change, I decided to stop eating beef. Although it may seem such a small contribution, I definitely believe that minor changes in one's lifestyle to reduce greenhouse gas emissions helps to make a difference on the global scale. This change that I decided to make is what gave me the inspiration for my blog. 

As I just stated, my current knowledge of how consuming beef contributes to climate change is relatively narrow. However, various statistics and statements I have come across in the media have particularly shocked me and have driven me to understand this issue even further. 

The first link I decided to pursue that appeared on my Facebook news feed directed me to an article from The Guardian (2010). The article highlighted how unsustainable a diet that is rich in meat and dairy is, especially as agriculture, particularly meat and dairy produce, contribute to 19% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions. In addition, the article included a short video which excellently illustrated many environmental issues involved in our global consumption of meat and dairy produce, which I strive to explore even further. 



According to The Telegraph (2016), by 2050, if we are able to avoid the dangerous 2oC global temperature rise as set out as a key aim in the Paris Climate conference (COP21), half of the greenhouse gas emissions humanity can produce could be as a result of food-related emissions. I found this statement particularly surprising as I did not even realise the extent to which food affected global warming. When focusing on the greenhouse gas emissions associated with beef consumption alone, I came across a statement from 'Climate Central'. This declared that compared to any other commonly consumed food, beef generates more greenhouse gas emissions per unit of protein (Magill, 2016).

My first blog post has hopefully introduced you to a number of statistics that stress the impact of food consumption, more specifically beef, on our planet. I believe it is important to be aware of what one is consuming, not solely from a dietary perspective, but also from an environmental perspective. As I do not have a complete understanding of why beef consumption is so detrimental to the environment and how it contributes to climate change, I aim to develop a wider understanding of the key environmental issues associated with humanity's beef consumption throughout this blog. Additionally, it is of interest to me to explore the controversy surrounding this topic and examine it from a variety of perspectives. 


Hope you enjoy the read!


(source: quora.com)





1 comment:

  1. Hey Laura! Love this topic. I think it is definitely a controversial topic especially as the demand for meat, similar to that in hunting, has probably caused species diversity to some extent. Many argue in the hunting industry that if hunting was not permitted, the species sought after would most likely not occur in those areas anymore and so the genetic pool may have been greatly declined through habitat fragmentation. What are your thoughts? Perhaps this could be a topic to explore in one of your blogs? Thanks! Courts x

    ReplyDelete