Thursday 24 November 2016

Tracking the carbon footprint of what you eat

Yesterday I received an email from my Auntie with a link to the website 'Less Meat Less Heat'. They are an organisation which aims to reduce the global meat consumption in order to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and tackle climate change. The facts section of the website is extremely informative also - one fact that really jumped out at me was that the water footprint of eating a burger and a month of daily showers is the same! The organisation has also created an app called 'The Climatarian Challenge' where you can track your carbon footprint based on the food you eat for 30 days relative to a monthly budget of 80kg of carbon. Carbon footprints are becoming acknowledged as both an indicator and management technique of GHG and carbon emissions (Wright et al., 2011). It is often a term used in news reports as it is a commonly recognised phrase within society. For example I remember reading a newspaper headline in The Guardian at the start of November entitled 'Your carbon footprint destroys 30 square metres of Arctic sea ice a year'. The phrase 'your carbon footprint' most definitely catches a reader's attention as it places the responsibility of reducing GHG and carbon emissions on the individual rather than a country or the globe.

Anyway I decided to download 'The Climatarian Challenge' app yesterday and have started tracking my consumption (it is downloadable on either the Apple iOS app store or Google Play). It is ever so easy to use and what I love is the new facts you get told nearly every time you fill in a meal. I will let you know in 30 days whether I can keep within the budget!

(source: green.nd.edu)

2 comments:

  1. Another very interesting and relate-able post! Am loving your blog Laura! Would there be any implications on farmers if the whole world were to turn veggie? A big question I know! Looking forward to reading your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Charlie! I think this could be looked at from two perspectives. Firstly if farmers were no longer grazing cattle or other animals there would still be demand to produce non-meat products such as pulses and vegetables, which suggests farmers would still be a great necessity to the world. However, as explained in my previous blog post, producing non-meat products requires much less land than for meat, which could suggest that less farmers would be needed. I think this may require some more investigating to give you a definite answer!

    ReplyDelete